Saturday, June 30, 2007

My luck even surprises me.


Today was one of those days at Goodwill. One of the days when I am charmed. In fact it was almost comical at one point, as if all I needed to do was close my eyes and reach into one of the bins and the first thing I'd touch would be something I've been wanting or one of my favorite things to collect. My ability to do this is really uncanny and wonderful with the exception of being a might bit unnerving.

I have been cleaning out my basement in a big way lately and what I'm always in need of are good shelves. I have some really nice wood ones that I got at Fred Meyer years ago on clearance for a steal and I've been wanting more but the normal retail for them are way too much. Well, today I found an even bigger set of the same kind of shelves at as-is for $5.00. (They aren't pictured as I have to go back tomorrow and pick them up). A few minutes later I found one of those nice metal shelving units in the original box with all of the pieces for $5.00 as well. Good shelving karma is never something to under appreciate.




Next I found a super cute and totally my "old-lady-ultra girly-shabby-chic" style, off white wire basket. Almost immediately I knew this was the perfect container to hold my cat Zoey's salad bar (she doesn't go outside so I give her wheat grass that I buy already grown at the grocery store...she loves it!). $2.00 for the basket, $4.00 for a couple of containers of wheat grass and my den now has a lovely centerpiece that will no doubt help prolong the lives of the plants on top of my filing cabinet (the theory being that if Zoey has her own plants to tend to she'll leave mine alone).



The other finds of the day included a nice wooden cabinet thingee. All of the furniture in my house is either metal or painted, distressed wood so when I find real wood pieces that would be easy to paint I get very happy. Plus, I am an absolute cabinet whore so I get particularly happy when the wooden pieces I find have doors. Stay tuned for the "after" photo to go with these "before" pictures. I'm thinking maybe a new nightstand or bathroom shelf.



As you can see I managed to pick up several other things as well, including: about 25 cardstock pieces (perfect for creating my collage pieces to send to all of you lovely people who mailed me $2...a great find as I had been rummaging through recycle bins trying to decide which type of material to use), 3 Melmac plates in a shabby chic pattern, a few toys for resell, tons of tags for crafting and for pricing things when I sell at craft bazaars, a plain canvas bag (one of the items I'm entertaining selling at the next holiday bazaar are reconditioned canvas shopping bags), miscellaneous collage papers and accoutrements, a bag of wooden blocks shaped like dominoes (I have a specific project in mind for these), oil cloth scraps (thinking maybe an oilcloth ATC series), an absolutely huge amount of these double sided adhesive strips that originally sold for $2.49 for pack of 8 (I got about 30 different packages for $1.59/pound), quite a few envelopes and greeting cards, a bunch of Seal-a-Meal bags, a picture frame, several craft stickers/papers and a baby afghan for Carley's wee one! All items, including the two shelving units and the wooden cabinet, were purchased for $36.42. (Mind you the metal shelving unit still has the original price tag on it of $24.99).



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are truly amazing. Do I see green little clock buttons?

The Alt Martha said...

I wish! No, just old style swirly buttons that kinda look like candies.

Teagen said...

I am on the cabinet search my self for something very like that one for my tiny new bathroom. What a score! I got some of that same oil cloth on one of my last visits! I will totally do an oil cloth ATC swap. That basket is great!