Sunday, July 01, 2007

Starlight by candlelight.

Saturday night my friends Greg, Dixie and I went to see a lounge act. The last time the three of us did that together was seeing Richard Cheese in Vegas a few years back (Greg and I have seen Mr. Cheese again at Dante's since then but being that I wasn't drinking or sitting I've determined it wasn't technically a lounge act). Yesterday's lounge act was actually right here in my neighborhood however, at Tony Starlight's Supper Club on 37th and Sandy Blvd.

I saw Tony perform many a time at the now defunct Club 1201 many years ago. During his prior performances I saw Tony mock dead grunge stars and classic rockers while dressed like Frank Sinatra in a velvet smoking jacket with a microphone in one hand and a martini in the other. Tony has an amazing ability to imitate voices and writes hysterical new lyrics for songs we all know. At Saturday's show for instance we heard his impression of Dave Matthews singing a promotional ad for Big K and an entire tribute to Neil Diamond and Christopher Cross. Tony is backed by a three piece jazz band (with a piano player that is the spitting image of Chris O'Donnell) that provide musical interludes while Tony changes clothing preparing for a routine as another washed up performer.

Not only will you find yourself entertained by the performances at the supper club, you will be impressed with what Tony has done to the club. This particular corner of Sandy has seen many businesses: a strip club, a health food restaurant, a Mexican cafe and one of my all time favorite music spots, The Blackbird (which had the best vegan buffalo wings a girl could wish for). It has long been troubled by a lack of parking (although Mr. Starlight has shown his business savvy by arranging for parking spaces in the Banfield Motel kitty corner from his club) and unrealistic business plans but I think Tony has created a viable contribution to the neighborhood. The transformation of a cold awkward interior into a swanky, vintage club is outstanding. The wait staff are fantastic, the garlic fries were yummy, the drinks were great, the prices reasonable.

I have nothing bad to say about this place. I was excited to visit, pleasantly surprised and can't wait to return.

Treat yourself to a visit at Tony Starlight's Supper Club. Take friends and coworkers, laugh, drink, sing along and help make sure the place survives.

1 comment:

Giovanni Carlo said...

I love to watch neil diamond tribute show I grew up listening to Neil Diamond songs and one of my favorite is Sweet Caroline