Monday, July 16, 2007

This is my scorned vegan entry of the day.

I didn't manage my time well enough this morning to make lunch. That and my kitchen is so trashed right now that the health inspector would totally shut me down if they saw it. Normally I make my lunch everyday. It's cheaper, healthier and helps me eat all of those darn veggies I get delivered.

However, since I didn't make lunch today I decided to order a pizza from a cafe right around the corner called Oliver Twisted. I should have gone to Veganopolis but I was being lazy (it's a bit of a walk there and back in my short half hour break time). At the very least I should have just walked to Safeway and bought something processed. But instead I figured I'd buck up, buy a pizza and have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

I called ahead so it would be ready when I got there and I waited around in the lobby while the seemingly useless staff did everything other than actually help me. I listened to the employee who was supposedly helping me train a new employee on how to include tips in the jar when people pay with credit cards. I paid for my pizza and went back to my cube. Mind you I have had a heck of a day at work at this time and just needed to eat my lunch in peace.

Guess what? The vegan pizza had non-vegan cheese on it. Doh! And guess what? By that time I didn't have enough time to go buy something else. Guess what I had for lunch? Pretzels from the vending machine. Whohoo!

Now some of you uninformed folks are thinking to yourself, "Well that's just stupid...the pizza is already made, just go ahead and eat it." That might work in theory (although I'd debate you on it) but the reality is if you don't eat dairy for twenty years you don't then decide to just jump in and do it again. I made that mistake once while at a wedding (and under the influence of much champagne) with a blackberry brie cheese concoction. Not a pretty picture.

Needless to say, folks on my floor were happy to get the email that a warm veggie pizza was lying unattended in the copy room.

1 comment:

Teagen said...

That happened to me once when I called the deli near work to order a sandwhich. I asked "does the roasted veggie with olive tapanade have anything else on it or just that? any chese or diary or anything?" they said no. I ordered it with french bread. I went to pick it up and eat at the outside table, I opened the box and , hello cheese! I took it back annoyed and they said yeah it comes with cheese but they'd make another with out. So now I am almost late to get back and starved and I bite into sandwhich #2 and, hello mayo! The lettuce was on the mayo so I just took the two top halves and put them together to make a smaller sandwhich. I was late getting back, still hungery and out $8. They dont have to offer a vegan sandwhich, but they need to tell the truth and do what they say! So annoying. Luckily with preparation, these instances are far between but still, it is no fun!