Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's this about not looking a gift horse in the mouth?



I once received a horse as a gift...September 1979 as a matter of fact. And that "gift" was part of my life through sometime in 2002 or so. In that time I looked my "gift" horse in the mouth more times than you can possibly imagine (I taught her to kiss which took quite a few views and then once she learned how to kiss, counting the number of times I looked at her mouth became impossible). Not to mention she also had tooth issues in her later years (I have a couple of her teeth by the way which is kinda gross I suppose) which required mouth viewing.

Why do I bring all this horse mouth stuff up? Well, I have another vegan rant. Sorry for dwelling on the same subject but hey it's too frickin' hot in this place these days and that just causes the pissiness to rise to the top like cream.

Yesterday was my birthday and I spent nearly the entire year looking forward to having my (cheesy stupid ceremonial and department wide hated) birthday gathering at work. The lucky one gets to pick their special choice of dessert and we all stand around and watch each other eat until one of the bigwigs says we can leave. It always sucks for me because with the exception of when people choose fruit I can't eat the stuff anyhow (because it isn't vegan) so I just stand there stupidly and watch them eat. Well yesterday was supposed to be the day that everyone was going to eat a great, award winning chocolate three layer cake from Piece of Cake bakery in Westmoreland. Didn't happen quite that way.

Turns out my boss (or I suspect maybe her boss) decided that most people probably wouldn't like eating a vegan cake so they got me a condensed version of the cake I had suggested(single layer small which made it look like a brownie) and ordered a giant non-vegan cake for everyone else (not to mention the cake they ordered actually comes in a vegan variety but they got the kind with eggs and dairy instead). Now, a better person than I wouldn't have had their nose out of joint like I did but I'm not that better person. I'm vegan because I think it is wrong to eat animals as well as eat things that come out of animals (such as milk and eggs). To be frank it pisses me off that on my birthday people chose to celebrate with a non-vegan cake just because they are too veganphobic (I just came up with that word yesterday and you can bet I'll be using it a lot) to buck up and eat a vegan cake for one day out of the year. Never do they refuse to eat the vegan donuts I bring in fairly often from VooDoo Donuts and Might-O Donuts from Seattle. They all love the vegan banana muffins I bring in for them. But oh no, on my birthday they give me this condensed version of the cake I asked for (making it look like something cooked in an Easy Bake oven) and themselves eat this hugely stacked cake for themselves. Urgh.

Okay rant over. I was never gonna make it without posting how pissed I was. Combine my offense at animal products being used to celebrate my birthday with the fact that they never consider that I can't eat their celebratory feasts every other birthday and needless to say I was offended.

The day wasn't a complete bust though...while I didn't win, or even come close to winning, and I nearly died from the smoke, I did have a very enjoyable and air conditioned evening at the local bingo hall!

Your next number is in the monitor...this ain't your grandma's bingo!

Oh, by the way, thank you tons to all of you who ordered art cards to support my quest to make a collage for every I have been on this planet...the orders went way over my request of 40. It's gonna take me awhile to get them all done (and I'll post when they've been sent) but I really appreciate everyone's support of my crazy idea!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!

[why do i think it's the 15th?]

sorry about work's veganphobia (yes, great word & can't believe it hasn't existed), and i was gonna say you haven't done enuf "marketing," but it sounds like you have exposed them to good vegan treats, so what is their problem?! i was reminded of the awesome tofu chocolate mousse you blew my mind with back in '93... true omnivores should be able to enjoy vegan goodies too!

kbeeps said...

Well, happy belated birthday. And yep, you have every right to be ticked. Even as an omnivore, I find that to be INCREDIBLY rude and disrespectful to you, since they all know you and your beliefs. Wow.

Teagen said...

bahhhhh!!!! Bahhhh!!! That is so fucked up. If someone was muslum would they have a flipping weenie raost? Bad form, very bad form, oh man. bah