Sunday, July 08, 2007

Are you getting enough protein?



This is a question vegans get asked all the time. How do you get enough protein? Drives me nuts. Humans really don't need near as much protein as people generally think, in fact it would be difficult to eat a well rounded diet and not get enough protein.

I was out to dinner with my dad, his wife and her family tonight to celebrate her birthday (and sort of mine). Despite the fact that I have eaten meals a couple of times a year with these people for the past several years, somehow when we go out to eat the topic of my veganism always comes up.

Tonight I asked them if anyone ever asks them if they are eating a nutritionally balanced diet. Of course not. Nobody ever mentions to carnivores that they should be concerned about what they eat but take an herbivore approach to eating and all of a sudden people are so concerned about your health.

The funny thing tonight was that this conversation was happening right when the waitress brought out our food. Above is what I was having for dinner. Below is what my dad ate. I pointed out the differences and asked the table, "Now who are you worried about?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man your salad looks amazing. YUM.

Teagen said...

I can't believe you said that! Should go without saying, I mean, the picture says it all. Good for you. I've been in that situation many times my self.

MamaZuzi said...

I think people often just don't think. And balance in all things tends to help. By the way, have you heard that soy may not be as good for us as we've all thought (the more processed kind anyway)... frustrating. Whatever happened with the scary event?

The Alt Martha said...

The salad would have been great had I had some yummy vegan salad dressing to go with it...oil and vinegar just don't cut it for me.

And yes, Sue, balance is a good idea...and I'm guilty of a poor diet nearly as much as anyone else. I just don't go around questioning folks nutritonal intake because well...it's rude.

Processed food...almost always bad. Soy or otherwise. Sigh.