Friday, July 06, 2007

I don't think I'm crazy.

So I had probably one of the most creepy experiences of my life yesterday and I haven't recovered from it yet. I'll let you all in on the scenario only if you promise not to laugh at me.

I was walking to the bus stop and went down a street I nearly always use. As I approached this one house I noticed what appeared to be a mannequin torso on the porch. The house is a little dumpy and you don't see mannequins in my current neighborhood like I did back when I lived in the Hawthorne neighborhood but it isn't that bizarre, this is Portland after all.

Anyhow I was staring quite intensively at the mannequin, one because I hadn't seen it before, two because it was the day after 4th of July and everything was covered in burnt explosive materials and three because there was also a black cat on the porch. As I continued walking down the sidewalk it felt like the mannequins eyes were following me. I thought to myself, "Hmmm, this is like those paintings where the eyes seem to be looking at you no matter where you are standing." I kept staring because it was so captivating.

However, just as I was about to pass the house the torso smiled at me. The hairs on my body immediately stood up and a chill went through my body. Out of nervousness or dutiful politeness or whatever I smiled back and kept on walking.

As I continued down the block I was so disturbed and confused and frightened. Was I nuts thinking it smiled at me? Was it a mannequin or was it actually a human? I didn't see any legs, there was no place the legs could have been unless the person was standing up through the porch. And what about the arms. Okay, frankly I'm still creeped out by this.

When I got into work yesterday I told a few of my co-workers (only the ones that know I'm not nuts) and they could see how spooked I was and they got creeped out as well. This morning one of them came to me first thing and asked what it turned out to be.

I haven't gone by the house again. After work yesterday I went to water aerobics and came home on a different bus and today I walked down a different street because I was afraid of what I might see.

Tomorrow I plan on driving by with someone else in the car to witness it.

Trust me, I'm not one to imagine things. I'm really not.

2 comments:

kbeeps said...

Yeah. I probably would have screamed at the top of my lungs and taken off running, and then I would have avoided that street for the rest of my life. But that's just me..

Anonymous said...

Ooh yuck for sure but you two crack me up. LOL. Tell us what it turns out to be.