Tuesday, June 26, 2007

$2 Birthday Present

In a matter of days I'll be 40. I haven't even begun to process what that means for me yet. I'm in for some changes apparently. I'm getting my hair chopped Thursday for the first time in about five years (I've had trims over that time but nothing major), I'm interviewing for a new job on Thursday as well (same company, different position) which is in a completely different field than I have worked in before (I've been doing accounting in one form or another since the late 80s). Things are changing. Maybe I'm becoming settled? Grown up? Tired of it all? Who knows. But I'm old enough to know to just roll with it and that it will all work out okay.

When I turned 30 I decided that rather than be disappointed by what happened (or didn't) on my birthday that I would make specific activity plans for each year. For the last ten years I have done so...an all girl dinner party at Montage, a Sleater-Kinney concert at the Crystal, camping in Washington, go carts at Malibu Grand Prix, bowling, sing along Willy Wonka (which Greg said was boring), sky diving (because Greg said Willy Wonka was boring), an all women's 5k walk, a mosaic craft party and more.

This year I want to do something different.

I was recently delighted to find out that my favorite collage artist has opened a store on Etsy.com. I have admired her work for sometime and I have decided to commission a piece of work from her.

Rather than just writing a check to Claudine I decided that I want to pay for the collage piece with money that I gather for collage work that I create. My proposal is that I will mail out a collage piece of art mail for every $2.00 I receive. My goal is to sell 40 of these cards by July 10th. Buy one for yourself, one for your mom, your dog, your co-worker, your mail carrier, the cute guy at the local coffee shop, grandma, your boss, your massage therapist, the bartender...as many as you want. Simply enclose $2 cash in an envelope with the following information on it and in return I will mail out a custom made art card.

Your name, address, and who the card is for.
Name and address of who I should send the card to.
Preferred theme of card: dog/cat, political, food, children, fashion, art or ???

Mail your request to "The Alt Martha" at PO Box 56404, Pdx OR 97238-6404.

1 comment:

Teagen said...

I'm in! I think it's a great idea, and that artist is fantastic. I can't wait to see what she does for you. I'm tempted to order something from her too! Can't wait to get my art from you, my $2 in on the way!