Sunday, June 17, 2007

So close and yet so far.


I don't generally consider myself to be naive. In fact, I generally think the opposite. That changed this weekend. I was completely naive about how difficult it would be to catch a feral cat who has lived on his own for at least the last seven years.

I finally found a vet to treat him. I had the money set aside to pay for it. All I needed to do was catch the cat. The first attempt involved me kneeling on the front porch with just a plate of food separating Barry White and me. Slowly I lifted my arm to above him and then quickly tried to grab the scruff of his neck. I worked at a vet clinic that specialized in aggressive cats so I had done this numerous times but when you grab a cat that hasn't been touched by a human in years you just don't stand a chance. He jumped into the air and was gone.

The second attempt was to lure him into the cage with food. He was halfway in when I was in the house. As I opened the screen on my house he took off.

Third attempt. He was fully in the cage eating and I had a string attached to the cage door so as he ate I pulled the string while hiding behind the screen door. I got the cage door closed but couldn't get out my door fast enough to fasten it before Barry pushed it open and took off.

Now I have lost his trust and feel bad for harassing the poor guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has he been back?

Anonymous said...

Don't give up! I bet he doesn't take it as personaly as you do. He may not have known it was even you the second times. You know that Paula Poundstone joke about squirting the cat with a water gun and it runs to her for protection? You're heart's in the right place, do your best!