Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Zucchini Dilemma

I've solved my zucchini dilemma. Digging through my stack of recipes (I sure seem to have a lot considering I don't really cook) I found a little pink piece of paper from a church newsletter (there are Sunday School references on the back) that was no doubt left in a cookbook that I salvaged from the recycling center where I once worked (we were the only place on the west coast that recycled books and we received several tons each week. I was free to dig through the piles and take home as many as I liked. Thankfully I was commuting by bike then and was limited to whatever I could fit into my bike bags and trailer--I used to take my dog to work in one of those trailers built for kids--because otherwise I would have to move to a bigger house).

Anyhow, I morphed Eva Eubanks' recipe a bit to veganize it and adapt it to the available ingredients I had in the house and they turned out quite good.

Eva and Elaine's Vegan Zucchini Drop Cookies:

Thoroughly combine 1 cup of grated zucchini, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup margarine and 1/2 of a banana. Add 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves. Mix in 1/4 c rice milk (more if needed). Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes at 375 degrees.

No comments: