Friday, June 08, 2007

Timing



I've been up since 4:30 a.m. I was awake before that but didn't actually get up until then. Couldn't sleep. The dog's stomach was gurgling (and of course she was insistent on lying so close to me I thought at first that it was my stomach), the cat was lying in the middle of the pillow, one of those moments where it is pointless to just stay in bed when there are plenty of things I could be doing.

So I made breakfast (dinner actually since I try to eat my meals reversed). Today it was a corn bisque (pre-packed in an aseptic container--very recyclable by the way--by Imagine Foods and VERY good) with collard greens, steamed veggies with nutritional yeast, ice tea and a sample of the apricot/peach/nectarine type thing I cooked up because my fruit was getting soft and which I will be putting into some muffins for when my crafty soul sister Norma comes over tomorrow.

On the kitchen counter is the contents of an envelope I received in the mail yesterday from my father. Out of nowhere he sent me my original birth certificate (I thought it was thrown away years ago when he sold our childhood house), the stub from my original social security card, a class picture from kindergarten and several photos of me at a horse show in Gearhart, Oregon in the mid to late 70's (my hand is bandaged because shortly before the show I fell down a flight of stairs in our back yard with a glass vase in my hand and had to get stitches). This was a fun and random envelope to receive. The timing was fantastic too as I was days away from ordering a replacement copy of my birth certificate so that I can finally get a passport and visit my friend Greg in Vancouver, B.C.

4 comments:

kbeeps said...

What a great thing to get in the mail!

Question about the nutritional yeast - I bought some a couple of months ago but haven't used any yet. It's just been in the little baggie with the twistie that I bought it in (from the bulk bins). Is it still good? Does it go bad?

The Alt Martha said...

Karen--the nutritional yeast should be just fine. It loses a lot of it's value if you cook it a lot but I keep a jar of it in my pantry to have on hand most of the time. I also keep some in a shaker to use like parmessan cheese. My favorite recipe to use with the yeast is from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. It is my bible...a hippy book from a commune but simple, basic recipes that work. "Melty Yeast "Cheese"...1/2 c yeast flakes, 1/2 c flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic pwdr, 2 c water, 1/4 c margarine, 1 tsp wet mustard. Mix dry in saucepan, whisk in h2o. Cook on medium until it thickens and bubbles. Cook 30 seconds then remove from heat, whip in marg and mustard. I use this for nachos, mac and cheese, sandwiches, pizza, etc. It doesn't reheat well so eat it while it is freshly hot.

kbeeps said...

Sounds good - thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like to make yeasty toast, spread bread (french is best but not required) with earth ballance or margerine, sprinkle generously with nutritional yeast and broil in the toaster oven till crusty, such a good late night snack.