Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Blogging on 4 hours sleep


I went to the doctor for an EEG today. If nothing else these visits are proving to be fantastic life experience. My instructions were to come sleep deprived, specifically getting only half of what I normally get. For me that means only four hours. I was also instructed to not have any products besides shampoo on my hair. I don't know about you but I'm a sleeper, I've always been a sleeper. My very first night home from the hospital as a baby I slept through the night (I suspect it has something to do with the fact that our family cat slept in the crib with me) and there haven't been many nights since that I haven't slept a full night. Because of this skill of sleeping I have become accustomed to being fully rested during the day which allows me to be the bright and shiny wonderful being that I normally am. I slept from midnight to 4 a.m. last night, was in the office at 6 a.m., had my appointment at 10 a.m., returned to work at 1 p.m., worked until 5:45 p.m., came home and ran errands until just a bit ago and now here I sit...blogging on 4 hours of sleep. It isn't pretty. Neither is this picture.

The EEG was interesting (I don't get the results until Friday). You get this lovely bonnet on your head (which coincidentally looks an awful lot like the beanie I wore when I went sky diving) that is loaded with built-in electrodes. The technician attaches it to you and all the wires to a machine. Then you lay in this bed covered up and nestled between pillows. I was told to close my eyes, open my eyes, close my eyes, open my eyes over and over. Then I had to breathe fast and heavy for three minutes. Then I was allowed to sleep for 20 minutes or so. Then it was back to the open your eyes, close your eyes, open your eyes routine before a strobe light show about four inches above my forehead. And to think I could have just been sitting in my cube doing accounting! I decided the sleep deprivation was just to help get me to agree to going through such a process. And it definetly had something to do with me asking the technician to photograph me. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tommy had one of those tests when he was 9 and since we had to stay awake to keep him awake, I know what you're going thru and I feel for you. I'm sure your results will be fine. Soooo glad you're doing pictures.