Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Okay, this time I really need help.


My veggie delivery came yesterday. Thanks to you folks I deduced that the mystery fruit previously delivered was in fact a mango (and I have since deduced that I'm not on the mango train like everyone else is...similar feeling to not being on the coffee train...guess I'm just different). Thanks to a few suggestions I have been able to put to use the leeks I've received (although I have requested to have substitutions in the future...I've eaten as many leeks as I need to for the moment...same with pears).

Now I need more suggestions. The "odd" (meaning new to me in a big way) item included in my current week's supply is about two dozen fava bean pods. My oh my, they just look like green peas for a giant. Martha has a recipe on her site using fava bean flour to make vegan brownies but I am quite sure the process of making whole beans into flour is a bit out of my reach. So...bring it on...what do I do with these puppies?

The other veggies and fruits included were: a portabella mushroom, 15 strawberries, several crimini mushrooms, radishes, 2 bulbs of garlic, snow peas, 5 apricots (I've never eaten a fresh one but have consumed many of the dried variety), 1 mango, 1 cucumber, 3 red pepper, 4 oranges, 6 apples, 3 onions (I could use some suggestions for the onions, like maybe decorating with them, because I have eaten so many onions these past few weeks that the aroma is seeping from my pores), 3 bananas, 4 tomatoes, 5 of the cutest Italian squash ever (who knew squash came that small?), 1 head of broccoli, 11 carrots, kale, spinach, lettuce and salad greens.

So far my great victories with these deliveries has been an apple pie and a vegetable pot pie. Both quite delicious and soon to be made again (although I didn't get any potatoes this week which I need for the pot pie and it seems silly to buy more veggies to use up the veggies I have). This week I plan on finishing up my leeks with the help of a recipe from my friends Rose and Teagen for steamed leeks with a tahini/mustard sauce. I also plan on attempting carmelized carrots.

I am particularly proud of myself for sticking to my food delivery these past few weeks as money has been quite tight due to unexpected vet bills (Twinky seems to have recovered fine, thanks for asking), expected tax obligations and semi-expected dental bills. But alas, I didn't take the easy way out, cancel my $45/week delivery and eat crap cheap food for two weeks. Instead I sold some Lite Brite pegs, Betty Spaghetti dolls, an old Avon ring my mom bought in the 70's ($61!), vintage little girl's perfume pins, etc. on eBay to raise funds for food. Yay for people who buy stuff they don't need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but I love looking at your produce pictures.

Teagen said...

Fresh Apricots are good!
The fava's I would steam and then make a cold salad with garlic, lemon, parsley, salt, maybe red bell pepper. I think I've had it this way with limas and it was yummy.