Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Gotta love it.


This morning I was researching recipes for things to do with Kiwi as I got four in this weeks shipment of produce. The first one I found was all I needed. Melt chocolate, dip kiwi in it. Works for me.

I got one piece of fruit that I have been unable to identify. It's a big piece (softball size), a little yellow, a little green, a little red. A little squishy. Any ideas? It is the large piece of fruit in the middle of the picture. If nothing else I can mix it in with my morning smoothie. However, my work is having a veggie/fruit challenge (document how many you eat...aiming for at least 5 a day but ideally 7-9) and I'd like to actually name the item that I am using to record my daily intake.

6 comments:

kbeeps said...

That looks like a mango to me. Mangoes are AWESOME. Since you say it's a little squishy, it's ripe.

Mangoes have a big, kind of flat pit in them. To cut it open, cut it the long way, about half an inch off center on either side. If you get too much resistance in the middle, try cutting a little farther over.

Then I usually take the halves, score them into cubes, push it so it kind of flips inside out, and then cut off the peel.

Hope that's helpful - let us know how you like it!

The Alt Martha said...

I thought maybe it was a mango but it looks so much different than the other mangoes I have been getting. This must be a big one. Do they come in colors other than yellow? I haven't been thrilled with them so far I must admit. Maybe it's the squishy nature...reminds me of raw calf liver.

Anonymous said...

When I see your veggie photos, I feel a bit romantic. Is it just me?

Anonymous said...

Mangoes are th best. Yum. We cut them into little cubes, add salt, lemon and a little cayenne pepper and munch out. YUM.

Anonymous said...

i agree that looks like a mango (one of my faves, too); and yes, they come in various sizes & colors. it does sound ripe & would be good in a smoothie, but norma's suggestion is good too (a la Mexico). uh, since when are you familiar w/ raw calf liver?!

Initially NO said...

Mango look alike. Been trying dragonfruit, very subtle and the best is mangosteins, then there's bitter-melons, go well in curries. I have a huge fruit fly population taking up residence in my home, who like to go caving in my nostrils. They seem to think I'm some sort of fruit.