Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I can name that tune...


I accomplished a lot this weekend...slept a lot, watched several movies, spent time with the ma (she turned 67 yesterday), played with the four leggeds, cooked a few meals, hung out with the gals...but mostly I bought and listened to music. I went through my cd collection and took out a big stack of recordings that I don't even know how I acquired. Went to Everyday Music (nearly the only place I get music because they have the best selection of used), traded in the old and got some new including Bridging the Distance, a collection of local bands remaking old classics (Christopher Walla from Death Cab for Cutie) doing Shattered Dreams (Johnny Hates Jazz) for instance. The other two cds I bought there were indie artists as well Helio Sequence (Com Plex) and Bright Eyes (Cassadaga), although I bought both of them used so I don't get too many points for supporting lesser known artists.

My other cd purchases this weekend all stemmed from Goodwill's as-is store. Cds cost $1 each there unless of course you hide them in with the rest of your stuff and therefore get them for $1.59/lb. I'm not generally passive aggressive enough to do that but from time to time...

The cds I got there were Frank Sinatra's Christmas Cabaret, soundtrack from "There's Something About Mary" (picture Jonathan Richman standing under the tree with his guitar), the Grease soundtrack (you may roll your eyes at this point but it remains one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, Dana Lyon's "Cows with Guns" (Dana is based in Bellingham, by the way), Lucinda William's (World Without Tears) and the Oasis double cd recording "Stop the Clocks."

So if you catch me humming "Grease is the word" under my breath you'll know why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucinda Williams 'World with out tears' is great, I think I'll put it on now!