Friday, April 20, 2007

Rabbit food.


I've eaten healthier this week than I have at any other time in my life. I have amazed even myself. This home delivery of produce (which now contains fruit as well as veggies since I have upgraded my bin) has been very benefical. For instance today I had a homemade smoothie with freshly squeezed orange juice, mango and frozen raspberries as well as a bowl of oatmeal (more nutritious than you might think). My mid morning snack was celery with peanut butter (peanut butter being an excellent protein source). Lunch consisted of a Tofurky (pre-cut slices are the only way to go and I prefer the peppered variety) sandwich with Tofutti cheese slice (not healthy but I like it), tomato and lettuce along with a salad containing radish, carrots, red onion, snow peas, mixed greens, celery and diced Field Roast (a lentil based fake meat that rocks) and a mock chicken meat (both good protein sources as well). My mid afternoon snack was going to be a Larabar (raw nutrition bar with nuts and fruit as the only ingredients and fascinatingly good) but instead I'm going to eat the diced apple and pear I brought. Tonight I have a lot of things to do so dinner will be light, probably the left over dinner from last night which was new potatoes with chard, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms all sauteed together and frankly way better than I even expected. I had forgotten how much better fresh vegetables taste!

So, this week of nutritionally sound eating has given me a base for recognizing how I can feel when I eat right (in other words when I don't eat tons of sweets, drink alcohol or soda). It's not a bad feeling, I must say. Of course I am more than ready to blow it to Hell this weekend but this is progress. All of the prepackaged food (I may be vegan, but historically I have been a junk food vegan) that I would normally consume still sits in my freezer and on the shelf in my pantry which shocks me. The $45 a week I am spending on the fresh, mostly local, organic produce is making it's way into my heart.

No comments: