Sunday, April 08, 2007

At Norma's Request.



Went to as-is (discount Goodwill store...last stop for goods before the landfill) yesterday. It was the first time I had been there in about 6 weeks (which is forever for me) as I have been more interested in organizing what I have already purchased than buying more. I had a mission yesterday though as I was looking for a doll sized bottle of water (yes, they do exist and suffice it to say I'm teasing one of my coworkers about the amount of water he says he drinks) so I used that as an excuse to go dig through bins of random items.

I spent $8.58 and came away with this: several rubber stamps (since I've redone my craft room I have already begun using my stamps way more than before, plus they sell well on eBay and Etsy), a few pages from a German music book for collage (I'll save some for you Norma), a toy waffle (to sell on eBay), a glittering glass wand thing (I collect these), a good handful or two of French word magnets, which I will add to my huge Tupperware container filled with other word magnets, an old picture of a group of ladies from the 40s or 50s with the best cat eye glasses I've ever seen, an older photo of a woman in her wedding dress, a lovely crocheted doily, several little ornamental soaps, an accounting ledger book (for balancing my bank account online), a plastic child's school pencil box (I use these to separate out different fonts of my letter rubber stamps), a foam Christmas gift attachment that I'm going to use in a shrine for my cat "Jingles," a brand new cassette tape (yes, I still make mixed tapes), a felt calligraphy pen, mechanical pencil lead (for work), a vintage Christmas ornament, a Lego Duplo race car driver (to sell on eBay), a brand new denim bag, Barbie stickers (I have a lot of Barbie stickers. Some I sell, some I use to decorate boxes of Barbie items I sell on eBay and some I keep to deface although I haven't gotten around to that yet), a never been used Seal-A-Meal and two sets of bags to share with a friend as I already have one (these are the best for crafts. My favorite is to fill with sequins and a note and send through the mail like a postcard), a brand new little book with an ink pad and pen and instructions on how to create characters out of thumbprints (of which I will undoubtedly send to a friend with a child who might appreciate receiving such an item randomly in the mail), a Flaming Lips CD, a Sleater-Kinney (RIP) CD, the cover of a vintage pattern (pattern ladies are one of my favorite craft supplies), most of a set of travel Scrabble tiles (smaller, thicker pieces of wood than the norm), random Barbie and Ken doll shoes and a GI Joe or Ken knockoff head that had been decapitated from the doll (I've been collecting boy doll heads for awhile to use in a project but I refuse to actually decapitate them myself--unless only part of their neck is connected--so I buy them as I can. I can't wait to jar those puppies up on the shelf in my craft room, ha ha), a few playing cards (for making ATCs) and a couple other little random supplies for crafts. A pretty good shopping day really. No water bottle though. So I searched through my mom's bag of Barbie food (her and I should be contestants on Let's Make a Deal where Monty Hall used to ask people if they had "blah blah blah" in their purse and if they did they won a prize, although instead of a purse it would have to be my basement and my mom's spare bedroom) and found a perfect one which tomorrow will be sewed to the hand of a certain teddy bear in a certain co-worker's cubicle while the said co-worker is at lunch.

Also ran into an old sort-of beau, (Hi Brian, if you are reading this) who I had no idea shopped at as-is. He looked really good which of course sucked because I looked really bad (had gotten up early to take the dog to the vet--infected eye from a cat scratch--and go to the laundrymat to wash my comforter). Always happens that way. Always.

2 comments:

MamaZuzi said...

Wow it all looks a bit overwhelming to me but I do want to try it out sometime (maybe I'll get Norma to take me). I certainly will NOT take my kids. They'd want everything there for their "collections!"

Anonymous said...

Love the loot!! I can never say it enough...YOU ARE GIFTED AT AS-IS SHOPPING!! Thanks for posting. How else am I to learn what to look for and recognize as precious loot? Thanks for sharing the music. You're a sweetie!!!
Yes Mamazuzi, I'll go with you. Any day but TAMartha is the MASTER!