Monday, April 09, 2007

Mushrooms, the other white meat.



My veggie guy and I kissed and made up so I'm back in love with him again. He gave me extra veggies today to make up for the few that were lacking last time (and the majorly poor service that he has since apologized for profusely actually leaving me feeling a bit silly for being so uptight about it in the first place). I came home to a box on my porch tonight that was so heavy I almost couldn't lift it. Inside I found: mustard greens, 4 tomatoes, 4 onions, 3 small heads of lettuce, 3 beets, 2 heads of garlic, 3 small avocados, 1 bag of mixed salad greens, 2 lbs of carrots, basil, a head of celery, a bowl full of snow peas, 3 leeks, 3 zucchini, a cucumber, a bunch of mini asparagus, 5 little sweet potatoes, 20 small purple potatoes and a small bag of mushrooms. Whew!

I made it through all of the veggies last time except for a little of the lettuce. I roasted the leeks with other veggies (including a turnip which didn't do anything for me so the dog ate it) and I liked the result. I think I'll try doing the soup this time. The only veggies in my box that I don't regularly consume are the beets (like em just never buy em), mustard greens (will go in with the salad greens) and basil. I already composted the basil because I don't do pesto and didn't want to bother with it. Now it just comes down to eating things which have the shortest shelf life first so nothing goes to waste.

And what did I have for dinner you ask? As silly as it seems, I had a few stalks of celery and a bowl of cereal. I'm doing this dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner thing (the theory being that your heaviest meals are in the first part of the day) and by the time I finished preparing all of the veggies for storage (clean and drain celery for example and store in fridge in an open plastic bag) it was a little late for dinner anyhow (I try to be done eating by 6:30 p.m.).

If I am going to continue this box of veggies delivered to my door for $30 bucks thing (and I fully intend on doing so) I am going to have to do something about this damned rose bush that stands between me and my composter however. Yesterday I was trying to sneak by and the bush grabbed hold of my hair. I was convinced I was going to have yell for my neighbors to come release me but managed to yank myself free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I come over we can take to pruning and staking it out of the way!!!