Friday, January 05, 2007

Oh well.

It's days like today when I really have to work at not noticing how ridiculous our culture is. Why are we forced to lock ourselves inside buildings with people that are not our chosen companions for hours on end just to make enough money to feed ourselves and our pets and provide shelter? This is ridiculous. I'm burned out and I want some time off. Problem is, today is Friday and all day today I will look at folks and sigh and they will say, "Well, at least it's Friday." And in fact, it is. Tomorrow is Saturday and the day after that is Sunday...the days when I normally catch up on me time and do crafts and walk the dog extra long distances, and go thrift shopping and do the things that I enjoy. But this weekend I have to work. Saturday and my boss is now threatening Sunday as well. And it is a threat. Work super duper harder than you've ever worked before, ("Somehow unlike what I've been doing for the last week?" I mutter under my breath) or else we'll all have to be in here Sunday too she says. To which I say a bad word. She has pushed too far and our entire team is wilting and ready to stage a coup. It's only a matter of days. I'm sure I would have told her off and stormed out earlier this week except for the fact that my boss lives in cubicleland with us drones so there isn't a private place to do so and I'm way too professional to do it out in the open. As it stands now I won't have a day off until January 13th, the day I actually get on a plane to leave state to go on vacation. Frankly, it's really not the workload that bothers me so much. It's the nasty attitude my boss is demonstrating. The honeymoon phase with her is over and now I'm seeing the true personality. And I don't like it. I feel like a prostitute allowing her to act the way she does around me. I don't tolerate that treatment from my family, from friends, from lovers but because I get paid to spend my day there somehow I am expected to tolerate it from her. I hate that. I've heard it said that "It's only work, don't take it personal." But when people treat you like crap how is it you don't take it personal? Don't you become less of a person when that happens? Is it really too much to ask that people be decent, even at work, even under stress? If I were to talk like she does I would fired in a second. But then I think of the multitude of jobs I've had over the years and wonder at which point I will stay for longer than 6 months to a year at a company. Previously when I've left a job it's been because of how the company was run or how the distribution of funds was distributed (the problem with doing accounting is you often know more than you wish about the nitty gritty). That isn't the case where I'm at now. I like the way the company is run, I like my co-workers, I like the work, I don't even mind the amount of work. I just can't stand the bitch that my boss can be. In a matter of a few weeks I'll offically be able to transfer within the company to another position and that shouldn't be hard to do at all. Maybe that is the solution. We'll see. But now, now I'm off to work...on a Friday and I can't even where jeans on Friday anymore because I don't like the charity they've chosen for the year (if we donate a certain amount of money to the chosen charity we get a jeans day once a week for a year, which generally I applaud as a fabulous idea). Last year the charity was an alternative school that I happened to know changed the life of a once homeless teenager. The new charity is the Make a Wish Foundation which seems like a good idea but they fund kids last wishes that include offing animals in hunts, etc. and there is no way in hell I'm going to fund that. Grrr.

2 comments:

Carley said...

Sounds like Office Space. Maybe you should go get hypnotised and be carefree and just sleep the whole weekend:):)

Anonymous said...

How about actually saying, "I know we're under stress here, but we can still treat each other decently" something like that? May not go over but it's better than swearing at least! Hang in there!