Sunday, January 21, 2007

Arizona


I came back from my trip to Tucson, Arizona last Tuesday evening. I left the desert and flew into a snowstorm. Quite the homecoming! Thankfully my dad picked me up at the airport with Twinky so I got home okay (Max was only running intermittently) but my kitties ended up being snowed in with my mom until Thursday night!

My trip was great. For four days I was able to completely forget about my job, the feral cat living in my garage (I just figured that out the morning that I was leaving), the dirty dishes in my kitchen sink, the fact that I'm not supposed to be driving and consequently feel stuck at home much of the time...

This trip reminding me that I'm a card carrying Northwesterner. While I'm super thankful I made the trip and got to visit with friends and see amazing sites, it really made me appreciate home (even if it was covered with four inches of snow when I returned).

While in Arizona I got to eat at a 100% vegan restaurant that was in the middle of a strip mall (stroganoff and a brownie special with ice cream, whip cream, chocolate sauce and walnuts), go to a swap meet (I purchased a vintage Arizona license plate to use as a postcard, 70's era religious girl's club badges for collage purposes and a photo album of 1940's photographs),
visit the Saguaro National forest (yes, it does hurt when you get pricked from a cactus), tour the multi-million dollar Biosphere 2 project, listen to local music at Hotel Congress, eat brunch (vegan Shepherd's pie with salad and a fantastic chocolate malt shake!) under a tent at The Casbah with birds landing all around searching for crumbs, take many walks and sleep with Maxine the most laid back dog I've ever met, enjoy a home cooked vegan meal of curry eggplant with peanut sauce, laugh my ass off numerous times, tour the University of Arizona campus, test out my new digital camera and even get a little color on my face. The trip was a perfect blend of sightseeing and homeyness for me and I had a fantastic time.







7 comments:

Norma said...

Yeah for pictures!!!! Glad you had a great time.

MamaZuzi said...

Jealous of your trip. Sounds wonderful. Glad too that you didn't entirely miss the snow.

Emmie said...

seems u really had a exciting trip... well loved to see the photos that u have posted.... i was actually going through your blog.... & i found it pretty interesting.... i would surely love to visit your blog again.... well u can too drop by My Blog sometimes and let me know if u find it interesting...!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good trip, especialy the food! Is that a dog on the cushions at the Casbah? Great pictures!

Jeff said...

We loved having you and your laughter and Northwest sensibilities in our quiet little pueblo! It hasn't been the same since you left.

kbeeps said...

Looks like an awesome trip - glad you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, Elaine! What a contrast from desert to snow! Don't stop traveling and don't stop taking photos.