Monday, February 12, 2007

Holidays and Curmudgeons

Holy crap! I can't believe it has been three weeks since my last post! I knew it had been awhile but I didn't recall it being that long of a while.

Lately I've been crafting a lot. Collage. 2007 has apparently brought with it tons o' inspiration for me. All I can say is bring it on. I moved my craft table out from the corner of my den/craft room to the middle of my living room last week when my crafty soul sister Norma came over and I haven't put it back since. Littered on the top are dismembered 1950 magazines, bottles of salvaged fingernail polish (no, I haven't gone girly, I use them as a top coat to some of my work), sequins, glue, scissors, random construction and scrapbooking paper, Valentine's stickers, my very favorite "pattern ladies" which are torn from vintage clothing patterns and more.

I know a lot of people hate holidays, particularly ones like the one looming this week. They think it is just a marketing ticket for Hallmark stores and rose growers. Perhaps they are right but for me holidays represent just another excuse to make things for people. Gift giving is one of my favorite things in life, just following a little behind cats, chocolate, movie theaters that sell beer and on occassion, road trips. First I completed my obligation to the Valentine's Day ATC swap. For the unknowing, ATCs are old playing cards redecorated and swapped with other crafters in person and over the internet. I needed to make 4 but ended up making nine. Some cards that I felt were okay until I created the next one. I made some that I feel were my best ever (and I have made over 100 in the past three years since I discovered them). My extra ones were mostly sent out as V-Day gifts to friends.

The inspiratioin didn't pass me by this last weekend either. I spent the great part of Saturday collaging post cards that I am going to send anonymously to one of my favorite Portland indie stores. For the past few years I have talked about doing it, in fact even attempted a cigar box shrine for them once but it has sat on my shelf because it didn't work as I had hoped. One thing I have recognized is that I can't force my projects, they just have to come to me. The entire project was inspired by a little illustration I had found in a 70's children's dictionary (one of my favorite craft supplies). This led to one post card which I loved and seeing that I still had more applicable materials to work with I made another. And another. The third won't be sent because it only passes my standards on one side. I might use that side on a future project however. The point of sending things like this anonymously mainly comes from me enjoying the idea that people receive things just for the heck of it. I love the element of surprise that mail art provides. It isn't about the feedback that I receive. The benefit truly is in the giving. For my friends I don't bother trying to hide who the sender is as I think most of them would guess right away. I am somewhat known for giving good gift, as it were. Frankly that is a label I wear proudly. I'm a little baffled by it as it comes easy for me, always has but I'm recognizing that it perhaps isn't as easy for others. I have a drawer in my house (no, I'm not going to tell you which one...I don't want any peekers spoiling the surprise) where I collect things throughout the year that seem appropriate to give a particular friend or acquaintance. This has been the best idea I've come up with in ages being that, as many of you know I have a basement that could be a museum of toys, art projects, craft supplies and material scraps which often leaves me puzzled looking for "that thing I bought for so and so."

My advice therefore is to embrace the gifts that you have, regardless of what they may be. I can't cook, garden or work on cars to save my life. Buy hey if you want to do a trade for a personal shopper shabby chic decorator or handmade item maker I am your gal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are very gifted in the creative gift giving area, among others. I'm SOOOOOOO happy you introduced me into the world of altered art. I love it!!!