Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dollars for Darlings


Okay, that is a cheesy headline but as you all should be painfully aware I am a cat lady more than I am anything else. Well, I'm pleased to say that my employer has a program for employee giving that I'm thrilled with and I might add that it feels really weird to be proud of a corporation. My work will match every dollar you contribute to a non-profit, dollar for dollar, up to $10,000 (per employee)! Mind you I don't have $10,000 to contribute but I can certainly afford something each check and through this program the charity of my choice will receive twice the amount. Now of course I realize that I work for an insurance/financial investing company and the money they are using to provide this benefit was not made in the most ethical and utopian of manner, but heh, good deeds are good deeds, at least to some degree and they don't have to be doing anything so I'm gonna give 'em props.

The charity I chose has been a long standing local favorite of mine, The Cat Adoption Team (C.A.T.). CAT is a no-kill shelter meaning that they don't euthanize healthy animals just because they are homeless (my theory is we need to stop killing dogs and cats just because they don't have homes...they should be lining the street corners with cages to help get them adopted and forcing sterilization of all domestic pets--yes, I know that would put an end to the careers of all the people who profit off of breeding animals and no that doesn't bother me). Behind closed doors quietly putting to sleep thousands and thousands of animals just because they don't have homes is not acceptable to me but I won't lecture you too much here.

I'd just like to suggest to all of you to pick a charity and donate to it. If you work for a non-profit (as I know many of you do) you can certainly attest to the importance of contributions but we can all spare a few bucks each payday. Making it a big event like my employer does (we have a two week period where they have tons of opportunities to give...raffles, games, donations so you can wear jeans, etc) is a fantastic way to do it but if you don't work for a big company like I do you can still give.

The non-profit you chose will appreciate it.

By the way, yes, I used a picture of my dog Twinky instead of one of my cats...she was feeling under represented and yes, she is a purebred. Twinky however was adopted from a rescue group...I didn't buy her from a breeder.

2 comments:

kbeeps said...

CAT is a great organization - when we thought we were going to have to give Puck away a while back, they were the first people I thought of...

And yay to your employer for matching gifts. Not many do anymore...

Carley said...

That is awesome that you and your employer is doing that...