Sunday, October 14, 2007

Something old, something new


I nested this weekend and this is the new look of my bedroom. The quilt is new (purchased on eBay for 1/2 of retail), the curtain is a freshly purchased vintage sheet from Goodwill, the metal clock on the wall is from Pottery Barn via Goodwill, the nightstand was free from a friend, the little dresser is a piece of doll furniture my grandfather made for my mom when she was a young girl, the metal letter E is from an old marquee, the floral card hanging above that is a blessing with an inscription on the back dated 1921 (the same year my house was built), the metal lamp is old, the lamp shade is from Ross. Something old, something new, but nothing borrowed and nothing blue.

In other decorating news, I purchased this amazing chromolithograph at an auction Friday before last for $40.00.



As soon as I saw it I knew that it was going home with me no matter what I had to pay for it. Turns out I probably could have purchased it a lot cheaper but the people behind me kept bidding against me. We found out too late that we each wanted a different item (the auction was for one of any three art pieces held up at the time). Regardless I got to bring this old, old print home and hang it up in my living room so it is the first thing you see when you walk in my front door. The frame is rickedy and the old glass is broken but to me it is just filled with charm. When you consider some unlucky bidder paid $197.50 for almost the same print (only in an albeit nicer frame) on eBay you realize what a steal $40 really was!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the new/old look. YOu did a great job. You have a great sense of style. :)

Anonymous said...

whatever gramma!