Sunday, September 16, 2007

Going, going, gone!


Oregon City Auction holds a sale every Friday night that my mom and I have gone to on and off for many years. Several items in my house have been purchased from there. This auction is a lot like a garage sale, only in an auction format. You have to wait through a lot of junk in order to find a gem and sometmes you might not find anything you like.

I went to the auction this last Friday for the first time in awhile (I had a steady Friday night date with my friend Darren for the past year and then some). I had pretty good karma this week, maybe not as good as a friend of my mom's and I (who we know from Goodwill's as-is) who bought a doll for $12 at an estate sale and sold it for $2,000 on eBay, but good karma nonetheless.

For a total of $43 I bought a box of "stuff", a wicker chair, an old oak coat rack and a brand new rolling storage unit.

The boxes of stuff sold at the auction are often randomly packed with miscellaneous odds and ends and many times you don't know exactly what you are buying.



This $10 box provided me with a bunch of old unfinished craft frames (they are made in the U.S. if that gives you an idea of the age, ha ha) that I will use for an upcoming project to sell at the Handmade Holiday Bazaar in December (more about that project in a few months), a bag full of little plastic charms and toys, a ton of metal filagree pieces to do who knows what with, several dollhouse miniature magazines and food items that will be perfect for collage (including a miniature 54 page illustrated Sear's & Roebuck catalog) and random ceramic dolls/parts.




The rolling storage unit has turned into a portable organizer for all of my rubber stamps, inks and embossing powders. I paid $7.50 and when I looked at Fred Meyer yesterday I noticed the retail price is $17.99.




The $8 wicker chair is the new throne in the craft room.



The $17.50 coat tree is still on my front porch as I have yet to decide exactly where it is going to live but I'm very excited to have found it. Coat trees are often crappy in construction, almost always partly broken or unstable but this one is in fantastic shape and really high quality (and old which of course makes it even better).

1 comment:

Teagen said...

Score! The craft room looks great.

Funny how it's tacky to boast about how 'much' one pays for something, but how impressive it is (for some of us) to find out how little was paid for something. It's all about being resourceful and there's the good feeling from re-useing.