Friday, November 17, 2006

The new diagnosis

I went to the neurologist this morning. He says I have a seizure disorder and that all of those weirdo little "visions" I was having once a month or so for about a year were mini seizures and that my fainting spells are what those have turned into. So now I await a brain scan and EEG (within the next month). Then I meet with the neurologist again to decide if I want to go on anti-seizure meds again(I was on them about five years ago for the chronic back pain I was having). I'm having some vision issues too which he feels are only connected to the seizures if I have a mass in my brain that is effecting my vision and also consequently creating the seizures. Fun stuff. I'm not thrilled about going on meds again (the side effects suck...one of them being that the meds caused me to gain forty pounds last time and I have just spent the last year losing 25 so putting them back on is anything but appealing). He has recommended that I don't drive, which is also very unappealing. I spent many, many years of my life without a car, and even spent a year and a half not driving the beater car that I have now but I'm more interested in buying a new Toyota Yaris than I am spending another damn minute on the bus or starting up the life of a bike commuter again. I ride the bus to work and back already so it will only effect my personal life but it is that personal life that wants the car. For the next few weeks (until the tests are done and I have decided whether or not to go on the drugs) I'm still driving, but undoubtedly much less than before (not that I drive that much anyhow). I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Elaine! What's the word after the test this past Saturday? What's going on with that?

Chong said...

This is awesome!