Sunday, March 25, 2007

It's Spring and I'm Cleaning





I've been busy. I decided it was completely nonsensical to have my den decorated with books I haven't touched in years and knick knacks that were kinda fun to look at occasionally but served as the inevitable landing pad for dust to land on while most of my craft and art supplies languished in the basement. I mean I generally only read one book at a time whereas I'm crafty all the time. More times than I can count I have thought "Oh, I could use one of those so-in-so things that I have in the basement" only to be frustrated when I couldn't find it. So last week I decided to change that. I made the decision to take out any item in my den that did not have to do with craft (with the exemption of this laptop which I use to post about crafts and my printer/scanner/fax/copier combination which I use to make prints of my craft) and replace it with art supplies.

This process has taken way longer than I expected. I worked every night last week on it, most of this weekend and I'm still not done. When I clean and organize I leave no stone unturned (I've been like that since I was a kid...my room would get completely trashed and then I would spend an entire weekend cleaning). I have sorted bags and bags of beads, sequins, glue sticks, buttons, magnets, pins, stickers, paint...and determined the appropriate container and location for each item. I have way more supplies than I can fit in my craft room so the basement will serve as an overflow area (and a workspace for the messier crafts such as making paper and mixing resin). I find the task of sorting and organizing soothing and I love looking at containers full of colorful supplies. A sense of order out of chaos and the potential for barrier free art work! This is a momentous step towards following through on an intention I have been harboring for the last six years since I moved into my house.

Completing long put off tasks is very fulfilling. So is being productive. I didn't watch tv this past week at all, neither did I even open the Netflix envelope sitting on my kitchen counter.

4 comments:

MamaZuzi said...

WOW! Will you come over and organize my house? Just kidding although I really wish somebody would. I think I could do it if I could freeze my family (like that click movie) and work around them with nothing going on for a few days!

The Alt Martha said...

Okay, I wasn't going to admit this but the truth really is that the prior weekend I had a bad flea epidemic in my bedroom that totally grossed me out and that is where the tv lives. I haven't been in the bedroom since (after I cleaned and sprayed poison in there) because the whole thing grosses me out so now I'm forced to do other things. Oh well. Maybe the fleas served a purpose and may I say that forcing me to be productive would be the ONLY purpose they serve.

Teagen said...

Love the pictures! I love all the colorful stuff in the clear jars too!

Anonymous said...

Oh be still my beating heart. I absolutely LUUUVVVVV organized bulk craft supplies. The colors, the variety the stimulation it gives me to CRAFT!!!! My room is a bomb with all my stuff everywhere since Jesse has my craft room all torn apart for our master re-do.
I'm so happy I get to share your craft room!!! (and I totally understand the grossed out flea thing!)